We’ve had an IVF Baby..

Welcome to the world little one! We’ve had an IVF Baby and we couldn’t be happier. On the 3rd of February 2017 i gave birth to a baby girl who we have named Poppy. We are totally smitten and in love.

So the last you heard i was 8 weeks pregnant. I had a pretty smooth going pregnancy. No morning sickness – lucky me – but lots of tiredness and indigestion. Baby was growing nicely and my bump started to progress. And so did the weight.. Ooops! I just consumed every piece of food possible and in total gained 3stone!

12 week scan photo

Pregnancy Bump Pictures

At around 37 weeks pregnant i picked up a bad case of diarrhoea. This was quite possibly the worst 5 days of my life. Being pregnant i couldn’t take anything for it, so just had to let it pass. Once it began to calm down, so did my baby’s movements. I began to get a little worried so phone my local antenatal assessment unit. I went in for a check up which turned out to be just fine but they sent me for a scan the next day anyway. It seems baby was just fine but when i mentioned to midwife that my arms were really rashy and itchy she decided to take some bloods. I didn’t think anything of it. I just though it was heat rash as id had high temperatures and sweats for 5 days.

38 weeks pregnant bump photo

The next day me and the hubby were out shopping for a tin opener of all things when the midwife phoned and said ‘you need to come in to be induced’. I was like ‘whattt?’. Turns out my ‘heat rash’ was signs of Obstetric Cholestasis.

So after an initial squeal of excitement we rushed home, grabbed the pre packed hospital bags and off we went.

The induction process was started at 18:30 on the 2nd February. John went home and i tried to get some sleep. Which didn’t really happen as i quickly began to get bad pains. At 7am i was moved up to the delivery ward and had my waters broken at 9am. My gosh the next 8 hours were painful! I mostly had gas and air but did ask for an epidural. They tried twice but both times it failed to work! Much to my disgust i had to carry on without it.

woman in labour photo

At around 5pm they decided it was time to use some forceps to help get baby out. WI had an episiotomy – so that i wouldn’t tear.. well hello 3rd degree tear and hello baby Poppy!

Poppy was born at 17:50hrs weighing 6lb10z.

We stayed in hospital a few days as i had lost a lot of blood and needed some blood transfusions. Let me tell you, i felt utterly rubbish! We finally went home 3 days after Poppy was born.

post labour photo

going home photo


1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *